3.03.2007

"Finer Things" Reading Material

I named by blog champagne and lipgloss because I wanted to focus on two of my favorite things, enjoying all the finer things in life, and cosmetics. Lipgloss is my favorite cosmetic item. I could not go a day without mascara, I have deep set eyes, and without it, I look horrible. But Mascara isn't fun, at least not for me, it is just a neccessity. But lipgloss is fun and exiciting, all the different colors and textures, and the surprising results you can get from layering. Plus the application is foolproof, unlike pretty much every other product.

But I haven't done much talk yet about other luxuries. I love reading and watching anything about the true upper crust, and I do not mean celebrities. The majority are middle class people who now have a ton of money. I'm talking real old-money, blue blood jetsetters, and the french because even the poorest french girl has more sophistication than most wealthy americans.

So while at borders today, I spotted Front Row, the biography of Anna Wintour, inspiration for Miranda Priestly and Fey Summers (if you don't know who those fictional women are, then shame, shame on you) and the woman who tells all those other enviable women what they are going to be wearing/talking about/going to right now. And then I thought "Heather, you cannot read the bio of the editrix of Vogue, when you haven't even read the rag in years". So of course I bought that too, and I feel another subscription coming on.

The hub wasn't able to find everything he wanted, so he asked me if I would place an order on amazon for him, but of course... This week, something very heartbreaking happened to friends of ours and I wasn't sure how best to treat the situation. I needed Emily Post!! But I haven't bought the 17th edition of etiquette, even though I added it to my wishlist before it was even published. Into the amazon cart it went. You can't appreciate nice things unless you know how to behave! C'mon rednecks in a boat aren't yachting, they're fishing.

And for a healthy dose of gallic, I also got French Women Don't Get Fat. But American Girls sure do, and this one is living proof. I'm having a hard time figuring out what I can do. I would love to start dancing again, but I just don't have time for it during the week, and one class on the weekends isn't going to do anything. So hopefully this will help me figure something out, and if not, at least it will make my inner francophile happy.

1 comment:

BabsieD said...

K, couple of things:
1.) Front Row: awesome. Read it on vacation last year. Everyone wants her to be this one-dimensional evil creature, but she really is a genius.
2.) The artist from French Women Don't Get Fat is my friend and famed stationer R. Nichols. If you like his art, check out his site--and if you use the code SAMPLE (in honor of the DSS, he'll take 25% off of your whole order.
3.) Got your email--will respond now that I have a life again!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...